Whittier Elementary School—Seventh Avenue & “E” Street

Once described as one of the most beautiful buildings in Spokane, Whittier School was built in 1913 in the Neoclassical style with two stories clad in light golden colored pressed brick and massive round white-painted Corinthian columns that supported a full-height Classical pediment.  The building commanded a spectacular panoramic view of Spokane as it looked northeast from the top of a bluff above Government Way in northwest Spokane.  As school enrollment waned, Whittier School was eventually closed in 1972.  Children from Whittier were bused to Hutton School, and in 1981, Whittier School was demolished.  Whittier students attended Lewis & Clark High School from 1964 to 1968.


No pictures available.